Wednesday 5 August 2015

Easy to propagate Zinnias

The first and the most successful flowering plant that I planted from seed is zinnia.
I planted around 100 dried seeds taken from a neighbor's garden and more than 80% of them became my first zinnia plants.


The good thing about zinnia is their ability to flower again and again. But they always die no matter how you care for them. I think that's their lifecycle. But another bright side is that they produce too much flowers and seeds and they are more than enough to have another batch of zinnias.


In fact, a lane of zinnias that I have now propagated on its own. The zinnia take care of itself and I did nothing. No seed gathering, no seedling preparation, no transplanting, no watering.
Okay, I transferred some of the plants because they are uneven. There are areas overcrowded of zinnias so I need to replanted them somewhere else.


Originally, the variation on my zinnias were highly visible but now there are more pink, purple and red zinnias.For some reason, these zinnia colors continue to thrive more compared with my yellow, orange, and whit zinnias.


Are pink, purple, and red zinnias being pollinated by bees more often than the others? Probably. There are some research regarding color recognition and discrimination of honey bees. .


I highly suggest planting zinnias. Seeds are available in the major malls SM and Robinsons, in hardware stores like Ace Hardware and Handyman. Sometimes, it also available in National Bookstore.  If you don't want to plant from seeds, zinnia plants with flowers are also available in Quezon Circle and other plant stalls everywhere.

By the way, there are many types of zinnia. There are different colors, different number of petal layers (single, double, multiple), and different heights. You can find dwarf zinnias in the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment